Thursday, October 20, 2011

Doomed

I was just talking to my sister today about my psychological issues.  Like, for instance, the fact that I can't seem to follow a recipe.  I try.  Honestly I do.  And when I'm making cookies, for instance, I really do add all the stuff I need to, and in the correct proportions.  For instance, 4 1/4 c. of flour?  no problems.  But sometimes I get tired of measuring stuff.  I made 8 dozen cookies every week for the past month and didn't once measure the shortening.  So... there's that.

But really, when I look at recipes it's to get inspiration.  Like I told my sister, it's like a colorful inspiration book with cool pictures.  I like to see what other people have done, but the whole "one cup chopped celery" is beyond me.  It bothers me to measure stuff.  I prefer to add spices until I think it smells right.  That's how I cook.

I should practice following actual recipes one time, just to make sure I know how.  Seriously.  No worcestershire sauce and cumin just for fun next time.

2 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

I usually follow a recipe closely if it is for baked goods. However, I will add extra chocolate chips or extra vanilla etc. if I think the recipe could use more.

Savory dishes are different though, I rarely follow a recipe for those. Those recipes only serve as inspiration. The problem with that is that you can't make the exact thing twice.

Little Jo Sleep said...

Ditto about the never-the-same-twice thing. Often if a recipe turns out well I try to remember what I did, but that rarely works. Alas.