Monday, April 14, 2014

The 12 Days of Dedication

I was reading Numbers 7 for my nighttime reading, and every time I read it (all 89 verses, haha, because it's the kind of chapter you feel silly stopping in the middle of, because whatever you read tomorrow will be a carbon copy of what you read tonight!) it rings through my head in a very 12 Days of Christmas style.

Presumably because there are lists of numbered things that were given, and they were given on 12 separate days.  Funny, that.

Anyhow, I've always sort of had it in my head as a song, and tonight realized that it doesn't fit at all.  But, I shall pretty much always sing it as a song when I read it, so I share it here, so you can annoying get the 12 Days of Christmas tune in your head as you read Numbers 7 next.  Because I love to share.  You're welcome.

On the first day of dedication the prince of Judah brought,
One weighty silver charger.

On the second day of dedication the prince of Issachar brought,
One silver bowl
And a weighty silver charger.

On the third day of dedication the prince of Zebulun brought,
One golden spoon,
One silver bowl,
And a weighty silver charger.

On the fourth day of dedication the prince of Reuben brought,
Various fillings,
One golden spoon,
One silver bowl,
And a weighty silver charger.

Okay, so this could go on forever.  And I'm cutting out may important things.  But as I said, this is actually remarkably difficult to condense appropriately.

On the twelfth day of dedication the prince of Naphtali brought,
Five first year lambies,
Five only male goats,
Five off'ring peace rams,
Two off'ring peace oxen,
One goat for sinning,
One first year lambie,
One ram for burning,
One young bullock.
Various fillings,
One golden spoon,
One silver  bowl,
And a weighty silver charger.

Phew.  That is a mouthful, and it leaves out a lot of important details.  And uses the word "lambies" because "lambs" isn't enough syllables.  So go, my friends.  Go forth and read Numbers 7, appreciate the exquisite detail, and feel free to let me know if you find a way to make this passage flow more smoothly (particularly lines that use words like lambies and off'ring)!  I think I'd sleep better at night if I had a version of this song that actually fit to this chapter!

1 comment:

Heidi Coleman said...

Ah, the good old days of singing everything!