Thursday, February 19, 2015

Holy Nudges, part 2

I recently posted about holy nudges, a thing which I think is very real, and am sobered when I think of all the times I ignore said holy nudges.

For instance, right after I posted last time (okay, well, maybe not right after, but maybe within the next few weeks) a number of times I realized I was ignoring holy nudges.  And who just reminded me about them?  Me.  In this very blog and with my own words.  Guys, I have a lot to learn.

For instance, on a Christmas-related flight I took during the holidays there was a lady who was talking to me in an airport (a stranger?  Talking to me?  Say it isn't so) and I was tired and fine with talking, but when we got on the plane (me quite a ways in front of her, because of Southwest boarding procedure) and she came and found me and said she was glad the seat next to me was still free, I'll admit--I maybe resented my openness of face.  Why do *I* have to be the one to talk to every stranger I've ever met.  Why can't I just nap?  So I leaned into the window and pretended to sleep.  Because I was very, very tired (I don't pack until the night I go places--a horrible habit, and one that detracts from my sleep quite dreadfully) and because I was already people'd out for the day (having spoken to every traveler and TSA agent I'd smiled at  that day already).  So I really was trying to doze off and the Lord kept telling me to talk to this woman.  That I really should.  Come on, Joanne, get with the program.

It took a while.  An embarrassing while, actually.  I'm ashamed to tell the story but share because a) accountability and b) it is a good reminder that when the Lord asks us to do something, we really should.

So, when I finally worked up a right spirit, I sat up and started talking to the woman, who was indeed just sitting upright, eyes open, waiting for a listening ear.  (This story won't make any sense unless I also tell you that she had a very heavy accent.  We may begin.)

"Is this your final destination?"  I asked.  (Nothing like a little travel-flavored small talk to get things started, I've discovered.)

"No, no, once we land I have to take the bus for a few hours."

"Oh, are you visiting family, or going on a vacation?"

"My brother had birthday today."

"Are you two close?"

"Yes, very."

"Well, that's very exciting!"

She stared at me.  And stared at me.  And suddenly I thought, you know, planes are really loud places, and she has an accent.  Maybe I heard her wrong?

So I tried again.  "Your brother's birthday--it's today?"

"No.  My brother died today."

Uhhhhhhhhh.

It was awful.  She was trying desperately to get down to see him and in the airport got the call that he had passed away.  He had no family with him when he died, she had already left her own family so she had nobody with her when she heard, and there she was, just alone in the airport, trying to be with her brother, discovering it was too late.

No wonder she wanted to talk.

That was the thing, though.  We talked about it a little bit, I hugged her (albeit awkwardly, we were on a plane and all) and then she just breathed a deep sigh, leaned her head back, and slept.

She could have been sleeping that whole time, probably, if I'd spoken to her sooner.  But I was being selfish and childish.  But thankfully the Lord persevered with his holy nudge and I bit the proverbial bullet.  And I need to, because she needed someone, and, for whatever reason that person was me.

"Take my lips," that song says, "and let them be filled with messages from Thee."  I'm a Christian, so that ought always to be my prayer, and I'm someone who gets LifeStory'd ALL the time, so I need to be mindful that the Lord probably wants to use these multitudinous occasions as more than just a casual encounter--He has plans for my conversations.

"Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee."

1 comment:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Love this, thanks for sharing! I need to start being more careful about those nudges too...