Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Speaking of...

I whined about evolution a lot yesterday, and with fairly good reason. This will be quick, but there's one thing that bothers me. And it has to do with evolution and the environment.

First: we humans (I say "we" loosely, please understand) are constantly worrying about the state of the environment. "Our children will live in a terrible world" we cry, "and in fact, everyone will have to use masks to breathe." "The atmosphere is being burned up by our stupidity, what shall become of us?"

Simple thought, people. We evolved, right? Well, I personally know I didn't evolve, but a lot of people out there sure think I did. So the whole point of evolving (as far as I can understand, though we've just recently proved that I don't understand much about evolution) is that we adapt to our circumstances, right? We grow longer beaks so we can eat those pesky bugs, grow more or less fur depending on whether or not our place of residence is warmer or cooler, and generally fix ourselves to fit in with our climates. Following?

So here's the thing I don't understand. If we're evolving with our environments, then won't we evolve with the global warming and pollution and everything? If I believed in evolution I'd figure, what's the difference? my children will be able to breath gasoline and still survive. Right?

Maybe that doesn't make sense, but best I can figure, the one goes with the other. I'm not exactly suggesting that we go out and burn gasoline just to speed up the "process" or anything, but I'm just saying.

But like I said yesterday, I am so glad I'm created by the Lord! What a lot of trouble it saves me! And as for environmentalism, I'm thankful that the Bible talks about being a good steward. I intend to live for the Lord, taking care of the body He gave me (it being a temple and all, good times), and the place He put me (Earth, in case nobody got where I was going with that).

But I'm not going to make a religion of the whole Earth thing. I'll leave that for those same confused people who think great-great-grandma Harriet looked the way she did because she came straight from a family of apes.

On the same note: has anyone noticed that Ken Ham looks an awful lot like a monkey himself? Sometimes I wonder how he can preach against evolution with a straight face. Though I love his work, regardless of the dubious looks. And for anyone who hasn't been to his Creation Museum, you should really go. It's amazing. Seriously.

No comments: