Thursday, June 7, 2012

For shame



I listen to the Christian radio a lot.  We have about four, actually, where I live, so if there's a boring conversation/song I don't prefer/lousy reception I just flip to another station and I'm set.  Rather handy.

It's especially handy when it's Share Week (every station calls it something different, but Share Week is the week when listener-supported radio stations ask for donations and hope you feel led/guilted into sharing of your bounty).  I'm going to be honest--I've never donated to a radio station.  Even though I listen to several, most of which are listener-supported (the one Christian station we have that isn't listener-supported is irksome to me because of the commercials.  Which, of course, is what the other ones avoid by being listener-supported), I just don't donate.  And I could say, "Oh, but I don't have a job!" but the truth is, even when I had a job I didn't donate.

So anyhow, obviously guilt keeps me from listening during such weeks (yes, your ministry has been an encouragement.  No, I apparently do not want to help fund you so you can encourage other people.), but sometimes I hear part of their programming anyhow, because I don't prefer the songs on the other ones so I come back, even though I feel guilty.

I should probably stop feeling guilty.  Guilt is a sort of sin.  Or something.  Anyhow, I hope my guilt has not caused you to stumble somehow.  Please ignore me if it has.

So, recently I was listening to part of a Share Week, and they read an email from a listener whose name was Jason.  Jason donated to their Share Week because he liked their radio station.  Jason, however, wasn't a Christian.  He didn't like it because of it's Christian-ness, but he did like what they were doing and wanted to support them.  They obviously asked for prayers that Jason would get saved, and that the programming would perhaps reach others like him.

(Picture this:  me, hearing this on the radio, basically crippled with guilt.  Scene set.)

Jason-who-is-not-saved donates and I don't?  There is something wrong with this picture.

Share 2012 - There's Still Time
Went to the Moody website and what did I see?  That I can still Share with them.  GUILT.
Down side, though, I still haven't donated to any of those stations.  Up side, I pray for Jason.  I like to think that he's accepted Christ as his Saviour by this point.  I think we would all agree that that would be the nicest happening.

No comments: