Friday, April 24, 2009

This brand is my brand

I don't usually think of myself as picky about brands. Usually.

However, the other night I was spending the night at my Grandma's house. It got to be like 10:00 and suddenly I realized that I was starving. I'd had a hot dog at about 4:00, and no food since then. So I figured I'd go down to the kitchen and find myself a snack. Looking forward to a nice bowl of cereal or something (other snack items at my grandma's house include things like prunes and joint wellness drinks, so cereal was about the top of the line), and then I realized something: I had already brushed my teeth, and I wasn't going through that again.

So I didn't eat. I laid awake for a while staring at the ceiling, my stomach rumbling a little bit.

Why was it such a big deal that I had already brushed my teeth? Usually if I've already brushed my teeth but something is worth eating (or I'm starving) I'll just eat and brush again. But that night at my grandma's, I'd forgotten a very important item. Toothpaste.

I don't usually forget important things like toothpaste, just so you know. But I'd forgotten that I'd finished up the tube in my purse, and I'd just expected to use that one. So when I got to my grandma's house, all there was to use was Procter&Gamble's (and I shudder to say the name, even) Crest.

Yeah, I dislike Crest toothpaste. A lot. I've never met a Crest flavor I like, for one thing. And it doesn't feel as effective as Colgate. Also, most importantly, it's not Colgate.

I am a huge Colgate fan. Have been for years. There's no real reason for it, all my dentist connections (and I have many) claim that there is no difference. But, alas, I find the chasm so wide between the two that I hesitate to even approach unto it. So, at my grandma's, I had just dealt with it like the adult I was and used the vile stuff. But doing that twice? So not happening.

So there we have it. Little ol' picky me, possessing cleanness of teeth (though not Amos 4:6 style) but willing to get it through only one brand. One day, Colgate should hire me to be a spokesperson. Because I'll tell you what: I surely do talk them up enough. I even get into arguments with my (very few, and very far between) friends who prefer Crest to the world's best.

Take that, Procter&Gamble. William Colgate was smarter than you.

Actually, Mr. Procter's first name was William as well. Haha, that's funny, I never thought of that before.

2 comments:

maggie87 said...

Don't you ever feel guilty for wanting the best for your teeth. I refuse to buy anything but Colgate Total, and there's a reason. You want to know what that reason is? It's the best. That's the reason. I should stop.

I think it's funny that you thought it was funny that Mr. Proctor and Mr. Colgate both were called William. And that you knew that in the first place.

Little Jo Sleep said...

I worked in a dental office where many hours were whiled away by reading the small print on everything. I don't know what Gamble's first name was. I shall have to look that up some time.

And I am pleased, mrg, that we are the type of friends who share the same taste (pun vaguely intended) in important things like toothpaste.