Friday, June 11, 2010

Muse

I love to muse about things. Not just in sort of a "Where is that magazine," she mused, kind of way, but in the way that I ponder things to the point of tedium. Sounds silly, but I honestly like to just think about the same thing until I've exhausted its' charm, and I can move on.

I used to sort of laugh at people who consistently listened to the same CD until they knew it, I knew it, and everyone in the vicinity knew it. It seemed like a waste--why would you dwell on those same 10 songs when there's a myriad of songs you could listen to instead? The variety was compelling.

But now I see the beauty of the familiar. There's something about humming along to a CD and knowing exactly which bar of the song has a half note, something about knowing exactly which song is next, and how many times the intro is played. In the same way, there are some books that I just keep on coming back to, because I love knowing which parts to look forward to.

Likewise, the same ol' trains of thought (my musical theory? I still think about that sometimes when I can't sleep) that keep chugging through my head. It's a good thing I'm not easily bored by repetition.

Right now I have, from the library, a CD by Libera, and, while most of it is in Latin, I find myself singing along. I usually have no idea what's going on, and those boys sound better than I ever will, hands down. I only wish I could have their ranges of voice. Sigh.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, by the way, except to say that it's a good soundtrack to think to. And, incidentally, I think every child should have a subscription to Muse magazine.

That's all.

1 comment:

The Chatty Housewife said...

Thank you SO much for sharing Libera! I had never heard of them before and I am so glad to find out about them. My favorite on YouTube is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvMFlL62XA&playnext_from=TL&videos=DMB98nrVNls