Thursday, March 12, 2009

Apologies and vomit

I have no idea what was in my head as I was writing yesterday. Seriously, Nancy Pelosi was the best I could come up with? Not only that, but I wasn’t very polite about it. I don’t know her personally (uh, obviously) but I’m sure her job is very challenging and it’s not really her fault that her speech writers gave her a “verse from Isaiah” that isn’t legitimate. So anyhow, Nancy, if you ever read this, I’m sorry if I came off rudely.

In other news, well, nothing. I was in Borders with a bunch of army guys today, and they all held the doors for me, which was nice. Usually there’s one polite guy who holds the door open, but by walking through the open door I usually walk past him, and have to open the other door by myself. Not that I mind, actually, and I’ve never even given it a second thought until today, when I realized that if there are lots of polite men in one place, they can open all the doors at one time.

Oh, and I was reading this verse in Isaiah the other day about the priests and prophets who drank so much that they vomited all over the tables and there was no clean place. It’s when I read verses like that that I fully appreciate being able to make mental images in my head without the accompanying smells.

And then in Ecclesiastes there was this hilarious verse about Solomon looking for wise people and he could only find one in a thousand men that was wise, but he looked in a thousand women, and couldn’t find even a single wise one. First, I never noticed that before, and it caused me amusement, and I hope I have opportunity to bring that up one time.

Secondly, Solomon had a thousand wives (slash concubines). Coincidence that he used that number? Well, maybe. But my personal theory is that one time he realized that he was surrounded by countless women who were ALL DUMB! It’s bad enough when a guy realizes that his one and only wife is foolish, but to realize you’ve got a thousand of them?

No wonder the guy was so depressed!

1 comment:

maggie87 said...

I would be willing to wager that many a girl whose lot in life is to be a concubine is unwise. Maybe he was just looking in his harem. Shrewd, probably some. Wise? Debatable.