Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas!

This is the first year I've even paid attention to the fact that it's Christmas, and that's only because I fly out soon, and am looking forward to maybe some less-crowded flights today! But I had a cozy Christmas Eve last night (never paid attention to that, either), and I read Luke 2 for fun (they do it in books a lot, I thought I'd see what the fuss was all about) and cozied up and went to bed at about 9:00. Which is good, because, in case nobody has noticed, it's a little early right now. Huzzah for early flights...

Anyhow, this whole Christmas cheer thing? So not all it's cracked up to be. Yesterday I went to Borders (ahhh, what good times) and was about to pull in a parking space when I realized that some crazy car was driving on the wrong side of the road towards me. I had no idea what was going on, but just pulled into the space to be done with it, and then got out of the car to walk into the store. At which point I realized that the car had stopped in the midst of the parking lot for the express purpose of calling me some rather nasty names and to tell me what they thought of my driving. Um, I was the one driving in the right direction, Mr. Foul Mouth.

But I'm a Christian, it's cool.

So good-bye, Christmas lights. Good-bye, songs about all manner of animals--from reindeer to donkeys (Dominic, anyone?) to squirrels--I think I'll be happier without you. Good-bye, Santa Baby. Remember your vows, old dude, and smack those cheeky girls who call you baby. Good-bye Christmas "cheer." Though I think the cheer looses some of it's cheeriness each year. Good-bye frantic shoppers, we'll see you come Valentine's Day when you want chocolates and flowers. Good-bye, jingle bells.

Good-night, moon.

What's not leaving? The peace on earth, good will to man. Because guess what? That's sort of part of the package that came with redemption. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is something we get to keep with us all year round.

No comments: