Monday, July 19, 2010

Do I seem desperate?

For some reason I've been getting a lot of relationship advice recently. I have no idea if suddenly I got a neon flashing light that says "I DESPERATELY NEED YOUR ADVICE" or something, but for some reason I've been getting loads of it. Yesterday at Sunday School a little boy asked me how old I was and followed with, "Do you got a husband?" When I told him no, he was rather shocked, and said, "Why not? Don't you know how to get one?" That's clearly everyone elses question, as well. Here's a sampling (sadly, I do mean sampling. Most of these are condensed from much longer commentaries) from the last week and a half or so.

From the lady at the YMCA (pardon, Y, they recently changed it): Make sure to decide how many children you want, because you won't often just naturally agree.

From my boss: If you've found the guy who gives you the last piece of chocolate cake you'll know he's the one for you.

From the lady at the grocery store: "Sweetie, just make sure, whatever you do, to not lower your expectations."

From the guy who works at the auto-body shop: Oh, you'll wake up one day and say, "this is it? the house? the kids? the husband?" so just make sure you have someone you don't mind being stuck with.

From the lady who was paying a bill: Don't expect very many flowers. I don't know who started that story, but they never bring flowers.

From a random person at the office: It's all fun and games until you have stretch marks.

From my friend Mrs. B: Why aren't you married yet? =P

All in all, it's not like any of what they've been saying is specifically pointing at any major flaws (that I can), as if they're trying to gently help me out, but rather these people are just saying this sort of thing for fun. Is it because I'm "of age"? It's kind of freaking me out, because I'm neither desperate nor worried.

I just thought I should share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey now, hey now! No using my words against me! I was MERELY joking with you; I'm not willing to put pressure on you in a genuine sense. I WANT you to relish in what God has for you here and now. Capice? (Pretty sure that's not how you spell that...)