Thursday, January 14, 2010

Question me

I like Amos.

The book in the Bible, I'm too young to have known the actual Bible Character. =)

But I like to read Amos. It's straightforward, when Amos has a question, he asks God for a little insight. The Lord answers, sometimes with a lot of information, but usually not. The Lord would ask Amos to pay attention to what was going on around him, "What do you see, Amos?" and Amos would answer to the best of his ability, "a plumbline," or "a basket of fruit," and the Lord would carry forth about what it meant.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we just listened when the Lord asked us things, and asked Him questions in simplicity? "Lord, Jacob is small, how's that going to work out?" (A question from Amos, not me, I personally don't worry much about the shape or size of Jacob.)

None of this, "So anyhow, Lord, if indeed Party A does exclude me from Event 7c at the urging of Unlikely Candidate 13, what am I going to do??" But rather a simple, calm, "Lord, what's going on?" In a word, to ask, and not question.

Ah, for the faith of Amos.

1 comment:

Firefly said...

:-) Thanks for this post. Something I needed.