Thursday, March 25, 2010

Meditation

I was talking to someone this weekend who was talking about how much meditation has helped their spiritual walk. Which was cool, because I had just been talking to someone recently who was saying that everyone should spend a minimum of fifteen minutes a day meditating.

I'd been thinking about this recently, because one of my friends and I have banded together to put together a series of devotional-type things. Not for public reading, no, no, but rather for our own encouragement. Something that will help her and I both in our personal walks with the Lord, and something to help draw us closer together in our relationship with each other. It's been an interesting exercise, to say the least.

For one, I'm sort of a conversational writer. I write like I talk, and neither of those forms of communication are very conducive to legitimate-feeling edification. Secondly, I'm terrible with remembering references. One thing I've found myself doing with these devotionals is that I spend half of the time looking up references, because I have no idea where anything is. (Though I usually know where it is on the page in my Bible, if that helps!) A third problem is that I haven't made it enough of a priority. I take the time to read my Bible, and pray, but spending the time to look up verses, and string them together with cohesive thoughts, is something I just haven't put to the top of my priority list.

My friend was "building me up" and reminding me that it was something that was worth making a priority. Good point, my friend, good point.

No comments: