Monday, March 29, 2010

I will. Not.

I often wonder why we humans choose what we choose. There are some people we like, and some we don't like. There are foods we don't care for, and foods we love too much. There are days we like, and days we rue the dawning of. There are even verses we like, versus the verses we wish weren't there to remind us of our sinfulness.

So why is it that we are wired this way? I tend to think that God didn't make us to have such extreme dislikes for certain things, though I would be willing to say that he doubtless made us to have great care for a great deal of His creation.

Is it our own free will? Our will that makes us decide "I choose to hate lima beans. And also my neighbour's cat." Because I pretty much dislike free will (regardless of why we decide what we like and dislike, I still stand by my distaste for free will, just so we're clear). But seriously, is it our "circumstances"? We like to blame things on our circumstances ("my childhood was so harsh!") and pretend that we didn't really have a choice in how we turned out. But I dare to disagree. You know as well as I do that we can change (through Christ's strength) how we act. For instance, I'm not a morning person. But I've managed to vaguely overcome that. I didn't used to like plain yogurt. Now I do! I can think of a few people that I didn't really used to like with whom I share at least a vestige of camaraderie.

But... Well, I guess I don't know what I'm getting at. I just think it's interesting to consider that we're all in possession of a fleshly nature. However, the power of Christ that dwells in us is greater than any power the world has to offer. Take that, lima beans.

3 comments:

maggie87 said...

Ahem, I didn't know you felt that way about me...all these years, and I thought...well, forget it. I thought wrong, now didn't I?! Hahaha. I'm so clever.

Little Jo Sleep said...

At first I read your commont and was confused, because I didn't say anything about you. Then I read your "hahaha" part and realize.

Clever, my friend, clever.

Little Jo Sleep said...

Make that "realized." Sorry, I guess I can't type.