Friday, November 12, 2010

Priorities

I know it's sort of lame to totally steal someone elses's story, but I got this in a forward yesterday and really liked it, so I'm doing that lame reshare thing. I guess I have no more ideas of my own. I'm just recycling ideas of others. It's a sad day in my world.

~~A Sunday school teacher walked into his classroom with a box filled with a variety of items. When the class began, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with orange golf balls. At the very top he placed a white one. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The teacher then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The teacher next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous, “yes”.

“Now,” said the teacher, “I want to tell you that this jar represents your life. The white golf ball at the top represents God, your first priority, who must be first in your life. The orange golf balls represent the other important things in life like your family, your children, your brothers and sisters in Christ, your friends; important things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your health, your education, your job, your house, and your car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff.”

“The secret to a happy and full life is having the right priorities. If you put the sand into the jar first there is little room for the pebbles or the golf balls. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the important things in life.”

“Jesus said…Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” Matthew 22:37~~

See? That wasn't so bad. Now, if only I'd thought of this story myself. =)

2 comments:

Chasms Lady said...

You forgot to add the part about two cups of coffee fitting in too, since "no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a cup of coffee with a friend." :)

Little Jo Sleep said...

Haha, I stole the story from an email of Sam Ludvicek, so I'll email him back and let him know he forgot a very important part. =)