Friday, October 9, 2009

Forgotten: the lost boys

Well, the previous (rather, the post that is below me right now) was an old one I'd written back before I even got this blog. I'm forever writing random things, keeping them for a while, and then deleting them. I wrote this back in January, and when I got a blog in March, I figured I should use it for a blog post. But alas, time slipped away and I never posted it. But today is my day! I pulled it out and posted it.

The ironic thing? I'd never really read Peter Pan before (actually, I'd read the original play, but not the book) and I'm currently reading it. I'm only about halfway through, but it's sort of a long read for what's perceived as a childly book. It's mostly enjoyable, though James Barrie sure didn't shy away from blood and gore. For instance, he described how Captain Hook liked to randomly kill people. Just exactly what I wanted to hear.

I saw the Disney version of Peter Pan once, and the only thing I really remember is that they sung a song with a line "Why is the red man red," which always amused me for some reason, and also that once when Hook and Peter are fighting, Peter steps right off the end of some part of the ship (I'm bad a parts of ships, but it's a little crossbeam the sail was attached to, if that helps) and keeps fighting with Hook--even though he's not standing on anything solid! I remember being rather disgusted at the lack of realism in that part.

Though how the whole thing with Neverland was acceptable, I'm not sure. Oh, James Barrie actually called it "the Neverland" the whole time, so I guess I should start describing it as "the Neverland." Pardon my previous erroneous ways.

No comments: