Thursday, October 1, 2009

With age comes... boringness

While reading through old diaries of mine the other day I realized that I am boring these days. I mean, legitimately not interesting. My diaries used to be hilarious. My emailing habits were laugh-inducing, at the very least, while maybe not hilarious, per se. For instance, I was looking through emails the other day and came across this email (this is only a fragment of an email, we used to email lengthy missives to one another multiple times a day) that I wrote to friend mrg. This was from April 2006, should any of you wonder how long ago it was that I used to be funny. How I wish I understood why I stopped...

"It snowed 2 nights ago, did I tell you? Freezing cold. As in Jo-could-almost-see-her-
breath-inside-the-house cold. I hate sitting through breakfast when it's cold. Partly because sitting through breakfast means that I'm awake, partly because breakfast implies that it's morning, partly because I hate all mornings, and partly because I'm not huge into cold. Just thought you should know.

"Ahh, I miss those old mad scientists. Do you ever wonder what would happen if a bunch of crazy Einsteins just kinda jumped out of nowhere and started talking? Talking about anything, really, because they talk so funny. Sometimes I have to wonder. Those crazy geeky-type people: do they realize that they're not normal? I mean, really, do they understand that there is a world or "normal people" (should the rest of us in the world be considered normal, which, looking just at the example of you and I, is quite unlikely, but compared to the Einstein guys we seem normal enough) that they just don't fit into.

"Good grief, am I still talking? I honestly have no idea where that came from. I have no idea why I started talking at all. Oh man, I think I need a nap. I hope you're faring better then I, because I think my condition is deteriorating. Do I have a condition? I hope so. Conditions seem fun. Fun in that very I'm-most-likely-going-to-die kind of way, but hey, that could be fun. OK, yeah, I really do have to go."

I guess that's not that funny, but I can't even tell you the last time I wondered about Einsteins jumping around and talking. In fact, that was likely the last time. I don't entirely miss those days, I think my brain wires were criss-crossed and somehow they've gotten somewhat untangled, which is why I'm old and boring now. I just miss that I had the ability to say words like that.

Though why I wanted a condition, I'm really not sure. Though if you died from something, huzzah, you'd be in Heaven!

No comments: