Thursday, October 14, 2010

Evil, in root form

I rant about money all the time: how much I hate it, hate to spend it, love to spend it, wish I didn't simultaneously love and hate to spend it, that sort of thing. But in general, and especially having the job I have (word to the wise: your insurance will cost less if you have a better credit score!), I'm thankful for what I do know/feel about money.

Before I go on, don't think that I've learned all my money stuff from the radio or work. My family is full of wise people who are awesome at managing money. I have an aunt who saved a bunch of money before she got married and single-handedly put the down payment on their first house. She is held up as a pinnacle of virtue in our household; someone to live up to, if possible.

Back in the day I used to listen to Money Matters on the radio pretty much every day while I was making supper. That, of course, was back when it was actually called Money Matters, and back when Howard Dayton did the show, and back when I had time to make supper. So, back when the show was cool and I had enough time to listen to money management radio shows. By the way, to all of you Dave Ramsey enthusiasts out there, I still like Howard Dayton better. Sorry.

But it was a really good thing for me, I think. My friend mrg and I used to talk about mortgages and loans and other things we didn't really understand, but because we nerdily listened to such money programs, we at least felt mildly comfortable with it all. Even now I don't really understand all the stuff with Living Wills and Revocable Trusts, but at least I know something. Ish.

So I dutifully went out and got myself a credit card earlier this year, just so I could start having some sort of credit history (the whole insurance company mindset does something to me, I tell you what). It's strange to think that you have to spend money to show that you're good at it, I guess, but it's how these things go.

But my dad and I were talking about money the other day, because I'd missed a talk he'd given about money, and I wanted him to fill me in on what I missed, and *drum roll* he was explaining how budgeting is bad. For a second I was quite confused, because that's what I hear on Moody Radio all the time: Have a budget! Manage your money wisely! But my dad has a great point. Most people create a budget based on how much money they have, and work out from there. Uh, as my dad points out, when you do that, you're basically allowing yourself to spend most (if not all) of the money you make. Just live simply, WELL within your means, and save the rest. Well, save and give back to the Lord--also hugely important (also emphasized by Moody Radio and my dad all the time).

But I've been thinking about it recently, because I've been trying to save pretty much all of my money these days, less necessary evils (prizes for my SS class, gas, etc. etc.), and it's sort of awesome to do my online banking and see very very few debit or credit card purchases each month. Woo hoo!

No comments: