Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tuna with a side of Smartness

Change begins at the meal table. ~This week's sign at a Church near where I work. I wonder what the sermon's going to be about... I've been curious ever since I saw the sign on Monday.

Anyhow, I talk about our family meals all the time, how fun they are, and how wacky they sometimes end up being. I was pondering this last night as I realized the amount of information we were sharing was of a fairly impressive quantity.

My brother was trying to teach us all this math problem, wherein the answer was about four times the length of the original question. My mom was full of factoids about the 82-year-old woman who got an $1,103 speeding ticket and a postcard that took 64 years to reach its recipient. Of course, she couldn't just say the story, but rather she explained it in math problems--she knew how many miles away the postcard was trying to go (she GoogleMapped it) and figured out the rate at which the postcard traveled to take that long. It was like half a mile a year.

And I just sat there, with my meager knowledge that crocodiles like to soak humans underwater before eating them (if they choose to eat humans, which they usually don't, quite honestly), and that New Hampshire is the only state left without formal seat belt laws on the books. I thought those were some pretty good take-home bits for the day, but my family had me beat.

Another day, another dinner. Have I ever mentioned how thankful I am for my family?

2 comments:

Firefly said...

I like the croco bit more than the math. But that's only because my brain explodes a little at the thought of doing math.
Your family is awesome, by the way. :-)

Little Jo Sleep said...

My brain also, explodes at the thought of math. I thought the croc piece was pretty cool. Of course, we were eating, so the family was a bit less impressed at my timing, but it was still interesting.

And yes, yes, my family is awesome.