Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The same grace

I remember the first time I ever heard a mournful Christian say something to the effect of, "Boy, I sure do wish I'd been a drunkard or something." Instead of appalling me, like maybe it should have, I thought, "Boy, I sort of wish the same thing." Not that I want to be a drunkard, because I certainly do not, but because sometimes when other people have these awesome conversion stories, it makes those of us saved-while-innocent-children people feel sort of badly that we haven't really had a chance to show forth the amazing grace of God like all the heathens around us.


But someone was talking about this the other day, and it was one of these "good point" moments I love so much. Basically, what's the difference, this person was saying, because at the end of the day, both of you are saved. I've heard that all my life, but I was just so happy to hear someone say it again, and so forcefully. The amazing grace that saved John Newton is the amazing grace that saved me--even if I never sold slaves or turned my back on God.

I don't remember getting saved, but I know I am saved, at that is enough for me.

PS, I still sort of wish I could remember getting saved. And sometimes I still wish I'd been a total heathen before that day, just so my testimony would be awesome. But I've been spared all that pain, so it's more than OK.

No comments: