Monday, November 2, 2009

Oh, the irony

Today, I went back and looked at a blog post I wrote back in January, but posted just last month. It was one where I was talking about insurance, and how I didn't understand it, and how I was trying to help my grandparents switch their insurance company, but just didn't understand anything insurance-related. Why is this ironic? Well...

So, about a week and a half ago I submitted my resume to one of my best friends, who works at an insurance company. That was a Thursday. On Friday, her boss called me to set up an interview. On Monday, I interviewed. On Tuesday, I accepted the job. And on Wednesday, I started. Which means, my friends, I now work at an insurance company. The exact type of place I still don't understand.

I pretty much have accomplished nothing on my few days on the job, though I am constantly assured that I'll be learning so much that new information will be coming out of my ears for the next six months or so. That's fine with me--I've always liked being challenged with new information. But the fact that it's an insurance company. Oh man, it cracks me up.

I was pondering to my friend (the one who works there) over the legalities of the situation. First of all, I'm supposed to leave everything I hear about people behind me when I leave the door of the building (so says my new boss--good policy, I must say), so I won't be spilling too many beans about tales of my working life, but there was one thing that made me laugh. So I was signing all the legal papers for my file there, and one paper I signed made me promise to not share any personal information about clients with any insurance companies within 50 miles of my current office until after I leave (should I get fired or married or bored or a new job) for at least 24 months. So I asked my friend: can I tell that information to insurance companies outside of a 50-mile radius at any time? Well, apparently.

So, I guess if you have your insurance company call me, I can tell them whatever I want. But I won't. Partly, because that would be boring and pointless, but mostly because I'm a Christian, and that's just mean. So, I'm sorry if you were just dying to hear about all the people whose files I deal with every day. You can't have the information. Muahahaha...

No comments: