Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bop to the top

I hate money. And I love it. I hate it because it seems to bring out the worst in people, and seems to cause undue worry (or not so undue, seeing as when people stress about money it's typically because they don't have enough). But I like that, well, it buys things. I'm sure we don't need half of the things we have, but sometimes it's just nice to have that extra purse. Disclaimer: I'm not actually sure I've ever purchased a purse. I don't like to spend money on something that feels thusly superfluous.

I just think it's interesting to read about money in the Bible. When the woman in Luke 15 lost her silver coin, she didn't shrug and say, "Well, I guess the Lord is teaching me a lesson about valuing earthly treasures," and let it be. No, she spent the time to sweep her house and find that money (I think I might too, if a tenth of my wealth suddenly got lost).

But we're not supposed to worry about money. Remember the thing about the lilies? They're clothed, and our Father in Heaven will likewise clothe us. But with a limited income, it's hard to view things that way. After all, when Peter needed tax money, he just went down to the water and got it from the mouth of the fish. When we do taxes these days, it's a little more complicated. Add to that the fact that most people pay utilities, insurance, monthly payments on their cars, mortgages, and buy food. Money like that doesn't just grow in fishes mouths.

Fine then. If a man doesn't work, neither shall he eat. But it's not just about food and raiment these days. We live in houses, we send kids to college, we put gasoline in our cars. Could we get by without those things? I guess. I mean, plenty of people live in cars or under bridges due to the whole lack-of-money thing. Plenty of other people choose to live in motor homes to avoid mortgages and utility bills.

I'm not saying it's wrong to live in a house (personally, I love my house. And my bed. And the fact that I have a closet). I'm just saying, though, that it bothers me that money is such a prevalent issue with, well, everyone. What's the most irritating, however, is the people who have "enough money" (code word: more money than I'll ever have) who worry about money. I certainly don't approve of spending money frivolously (unless you want to send me on vacation, in which case I recommend spending money lavishly, thank you), but it rubs me the wrong way when people with money begrudge sharing that money.

I spend money on a budget. A certain amount (read: most) of my money goes towards my ahh-I'll-have-a-mortgage-one-day fund, and another amount (read: a small amount) goes towards my ehh-I'll-spend-it fund (which, by the way, mostly funds my weekly baking sessions for my Sunday School class). I think my problem is that I judge too harshly. When I see people struggling financially and know that there is at least one area in their life in which they spend money needlessly, I always sort of quirk an eyebrow and think, "But if you just..."

Which is terrible. I have no place to worry about why people are or aren't spending money. Plus, I sort of OD'd on Larry Burkett back in the day, so I think I know all the pat answers, but since I really haven't had to live them, it's not worth much.

Moral of story? Money is complicated. The end.

No comments: