Thursday, April 8, 2010

Humble Pie

I read an interesting quip this morning. It effectively goes as follows: We should not be humbled by pondering our sins and failures, but rather by the work of the cross and Christ's sacrifice for us.

Tru dat.

I tend to pause, all too often, on my own failures. I've failed more than I'll ever let on (I'm that type of person, sorry), but the fact of the matter is, that's just another way of being self-centered. It's not furthering my relationship with the Lord to think back to the fact that my fleshly self sins way too often. It's not bringing Him glory. It's not doing anything productive, in fact.

So instead I should look more to the cross, and beyond, to the completed work of my risen Saviour. Through His death and resurrection I have been made whole, I have been redeemed, and I have been given a new life. There's no sense looking back through my rear-view mirror, so to speak, and dwell on that old life. But rather look forward through the large windshield in front of me and face my every tomorrow knowing that I come to my knees in gratitude and humility only because His work shines more greatly than my frailty ever will.

I am awed, and humbled, by the Life He lived. And Gave. For me.

No comments: